Professor of Computer Science, University of Crete
University of Crete
Department of Computer Science
GR-700 13 Heraklion
His research interests are in the broader area of Signals and Systems Processing:
- Speech Signal Processing
- Audio Signal Processing
- Statistical Signal Processing
- Biomedical Signal Processing and Bioacoustics
Awards and Distinctions
- IEEE Fellow
- Elected member of the International Speech Communication Asscotiation Board
- Elected member of the IEEE Technical Committee on Speech and Language Procesing
- PhD Fellowship (1992-1995) of teh French Ministry of Research and Education and France Telecom at the Signal Processing Group, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Telecommunications, (E.N.S.T.) Paris, France.
- Graduate Scholarship (1991-1992) of the Ecole Nationale Superieure de Telecommunications, (E.N.S.T.) Paris, France.
- Undergraduate Scholarship (1986-1991) of the Maliotis Foundation at the National Tecnival University of Athens (N.T.U.A.), Athens
Yannis Stylianou is Professor of Speech Processing at University of Crete, in Greece and Senior Research Scientist at Apple, Cambridge UK. From 1996 until 2001 he was with AT&T Labs Research (Murray Hill and Florham Park, NJ, USA) and until 2002 he was with Bell-Labs Lucent Technologies, in Murray Hill, NJ, USA. He is with University of Crete since 2002. From 2013 until 2018 (July) he was Group Leader of the Speech Technology Group at Toshiba Cambridge Research Lab in Cambridge UK. He holds MSc and PhD from ENST-Paris on Signal Processing and he has studied Electrical Engineering at NTUA Athens Greece (1991). He is an IEEE Fellow.
He has (co-)authored more than 200 scientific publications in journals, conferences and chapters in books related to signal processing, and holds about 30 UK and US patents, which have received more than 6000 citations (excluding self-citations) with H-index=38. He was the General Chair of the IEEE Workshop on Spoken Language Technology (SLT2018), in Athens Greece (Dec 2018) while he was the co-organizer of the 1st IEEE SPS Winter School on Speech and Audio Processing for Immersive Environments and Future Interfaces (2012) and the 1st ISCA Summer School on Speech Processing (2014), while every year since 2014 he is organizing an international Summer School on Speech Processing in Crete, Greece. He was member of the organizing committee for Interspeech2018 (India, Hyderabad) as a co-chair of the Tutorial program. He has given tutorials at various Interspeech conferences and has organized special sessions at ICASSP and Interspeech.
He is member of the IEEE Speech and Language Technical Committee (2007-2010, 2017-2019). He was on the Board of the International Speech Communication Association (ISCA) (2009-2013), of the IEEE Multimedia Communications Technical Committee, and on the Editorial Board of the Digital Signal Processing Journal of Elsevier and Associate Editor for the IEEE Signal Processing Letters. As a member of ISCA Board he designed and implemented the ISCA Seasonal Schools.
Please click below for a full version of his CV