Computer Science Department
University of Crete
Information for prospective MSc/PhD students: The University of Crete postgraduate programs in Computer Science invite applications from exceptional candidates twice a year (deadlines March 31 and October 31).
My research interests revolve around the following areas:
Read more about my research
- Distributed computer systems
- Scalable data store technologies
- Cloud computing, lifecycle management of multi-cloud applications
- Distributed service management
- Scalable fault-tolerant stream-processing systems, Internet of Things (IoT)
This is a partial list of projects I have participated in over the years:
- The PaaSage European FP7 collaborative project (2012-2016), which delivered an open and integrated platform to support model based lifecycle management of Cloud applications.
- The CumuloNimbo European FP7 collaborative project (2010-2013), which delivered a highly scalable multi-tier transactional platform as a service (PaaS)
- The STREAM European FP7 collaborative project (2008-2011) contributed a scalable fault-tolerant stream processing platform supporting a variety of applications operating on streaming data
- The ScaleWorks FP7 project (2009-2011) had the objective to improve the entire lifecycle of scalable distributed systems from design to engineering, prototyping, deployment, and operation, on contemporary cost-effective high-performance platforms
- The Galapagos project (2006-2009) at IBM Research contributed a model-based approach to distributed systems management with a focus on data and storage.
- Research on the structure and performance of the Direct Access File System at Harvard (2000-2004) received two best paper awards and helped shape industrial standardization efforts around direct-access (RDMA) interconnects
- International Master in Services Engineering (IMSE)
Further information about my publications is also available online at DBLP and Google Scholar.
A General-Purpose Architecture for Replicated Metadata Services in Distributed File Systems
Dimokritos Stamatakis, Nikos Tsikoudis, Eirini Micheli and Kostas Magoutis
in IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), Volume 28, Issue 10, pp 2747-2759, October 1, 2017 (pdf)
Incremental elasticity for NoSQL data stores
Antonis Papaioannou and Kostas Magoutis
in 36th IEEE International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS 2017), Hong Kong, China, September 26-29, 2017 (pdf)
- A measurement-based approach to performance prediction in NoSQL systems
Flora Karniavoura and Kostas Magoutis
in 25th IEEE International Symposium on the Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS 2017), Banff, Canada, September 20-22, 2017 (pdf)
- Cross-layer management of a containerized NoSQL data store
Eudoxos Bekas and Kostas Magoutis
in 15th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM 2017), Special Track on Autonomic Management, Lisbon, Portugal, May 8-12, 2017 (pdf)
- ACaZoo: A Distributed Key-Value Store based on Replicated LSM-Trees Awarded Best Student Paper
Panagiotis Garefalakis, Panagiotis Papadopoulos and Kostas Magoutis
in 33rd IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS 2014), Nara, Japan, October 6-9, 2014 (pdf).
- Scalable entity-based summarization of web search results using MapReduce
Ioannis Kitsos, Kostas Magoutis, and Yannis Tzitzikas
In Distributed and Parallel Databases (DAPD), Volume 32, Issue 3, pp 405-446, September 2014 (pdf).
- Managing Service Performance in the Cassandra Distributed Storage System
Maria Chalkiadaki and Kostas Magoutis
in Proceedings of 5th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom 2013), Bristol, UK, December 2-5, 2013 (pdf).
- Towards Cross-layer Monitoring of Multi-Cloud Service-based Applications
Chrysostomos Zeginis, Kyriakos Kritikos, Panagiotis Garefalakis, Konstantina Konsolaki, Kostas Magoutis, and Dimitris Plexousakis
in Proceedings of European Conference on Cloud and Service Computing (ESOCC'13), Malaga, Spain, September 11-13, 2013 (pdf).
Improving Datacenter Operations Management Using Wireless Sensor Networks
Panagiotis Garefalakis and Kostas Magoutis
In IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (iThings 2012), Besancon, France, November 20-23, 2012 (pdf).
CEC: Continuous Eventual Checkpointing for Data Stream Processing Operators
Zoe Sebepou and Kostas Magoutis
In Proceedings of 41st IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2011), Hong Kong, China, June 27-30, 2011 (pdf).
I have also authored a number of patents.
- 15th ACM SIGOPS European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys 2020) (General co-Chair), April 27-30, 2020, Heraklion, Greece.
- 38th IEEE International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS 2019), October 1-4, 2019, Lyon, France.
- 19th IFIP International Conference on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems (DAIS 2019), June 17-21, 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 22th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT 2019), Research Track, March 26-29, 2019, Lisbon, Portugal.
- EuroSys 2018 (Posters Chair), April 23-26, 2018, Porto, Portugal.
- 18th IFIP International Conference on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems (DAIS 2018), June 18-21, 2018, Madrid, Spain.
- 20th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT 2017), Industrial/Application Track, March 21-24, 2017, Venice, Italy
- 11th International Federated Conference on Distributed Computing Techniques (DisCoTec 2016) (General Chair), June 6-9, 2016, Heraklion, Greece.
- 14th IFIP International Conference on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems (DAIS 2014) (PC Co-Chair), June 3-6, 2014, Berlin, Germany.
- 14th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid2014), May 26-29, 2014, Chicago, IL, USA.
- 5th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom 2013), December 2-5, 2013, Bristol, UK.
- 10th IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (SCC 2013) June 27-July 2, 2013, Santa Clara, CA, USA.
- 19th International European Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing (Euro-Par 2013), August 26-30, 2013, Aachen, Germany.
I am an Associate Professor at the Computer Science Department, University of Crete and
collaborating researcher with ICS-FORTH in Heraklion, Greece.
Previously I was a tenured Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Ioannina (2014-19), a Research Staff Member at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center in Hawthorne, NY (2003-2009) and taught at Columbia University, NY (2004). Before that I was a graduate student at Harvard where I received my Ph.D. in 2003.
I can be contacted via email (use my last name) at csd.uoc.gr (professional) or gmail.com (personal).
My postal mail address:
Computer Science Department
University of Crete