1. Course Information
|Office Hours:||Monday 12:15-14:00, Room K-327|
This course is an introduction to Computer Science. Its goal is to help the students develop problem-solving skills, computational thinking, and acquire the fundamental programming skills necessary during the rest of the curriculum. The goals of this course are:
- We will study several simple computational problems, some of the algorithms that solve them, and discuss these solutions.
- We will learn structured and procedural programming in the C programming language and develop several programs to implement these algorithms.
- We will learn several data types, their structure and representation in memory, and ways to manage the memory in a program.
Coursework amounts to:
- Two lectures per week. Attendance is highly recommended.
- Several homework assignments that aim to improve understanding of the material, timed to coincide with the related lectures. All coding exercises will use the C programming language. Each student must work separately for homework assignments.
- One midterm exam. Exam material is everything covered in lectures until the midterm.
- One final exam. Exam material is everything taught during the term.
|Homework assignments:||4 points|
|Final exam (or repeat exam):||4 points|
- Requirement for passing grade is 50% on the final exam.
4. Reading Material
The following is not required reading.
Οδηγός της C, Herbert Schildt, Εκδόσεις Γκιούρδας
Teach Yourself C, Herbert Schildt, McGraw-Hill Osborne Media, 3rd Edition, 1997, ISBN: 0078823110
Η Γλώσσα Προγραμματισμού C, Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie, Εκδόσεις Κλειδάριθμος
The C Programming Language, Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie 2nd edition, Prentice Hall Software Series, 1988, ISBN: 0131103628
- C: από τη Θεωρία στην Εφαρμογή, Γ. Σ. Τσελίκης - Ν. Δ. Τσελίκας, ISBN: 978-960-93-1961-4
- C - How to Program, Harvey Deitel, Paul Deitel, Prentice Hall, 4th edition, 2003, ISBN: 0131426443
- A Book on C, Al Kelley and Ira Pohl, Addison-Wesley, 4th edition, 1997, ISBN: 0201183994
- C Programming: A Modern Approach, Kim N. King, W.W. Norton & Company, 1996, ISBN: 0393969452
- Expert C Programming, Peter van der Linden, Prentice Hall, 1994, ISBN: 0131774298
- The UNIX Programming Environment, Brian W. Kernighan, Rob Pike, Prentice Hall, 1984, ISBN: 013937681X
- Algorithms in C (parts 1-5), Robert Sedgewick, Addison-Wesley, 3rd edition, 2001, ISBN: 0201756080
- The Art and Science of C: A Library-based Introduction to Computer Science, Eric S. Roberts, Addison-Wesley, 1995, ISBN: 0-201-54322-2
- The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master, Andrew Hunt, David Thomas, Addison-Wesley, 1999, ISBN: 020161622X
- The Practice of Programming, Brian W. Kernighan, Rob Pike, Addison-Wesley, 1999, ISBN: 020161586X