RULES OF OPERATION
The Department of Computer Science provides its members - teachers,
students and staff - the right to use computer systems and networks to
serve the educational, research and other needs within the academic
function of the Department and the University of Crete.
Students have the right to use a computer account from their first record in the Department until their graduation. The right to use the account is directly linked to each semester registration. If the student does not renew the registration for a period, access to the account is temporarily suspended. Students from other Departments also acquire the right to computer accounts in the Computer Science Department for courses offered by the Department. In this case the validity of the account will last for one semester only.
Users must comply with some basic rules in order to maintain the highest possible level of service and the good image of the Department.
Each account is provided to serve Department needs and is strictly personal. More specific use requires prior approval of the system administrators. Users can create webpages to be hosted by the www server of the Department, provided that all general rules for the use of systems apply.
Each user is responsible for the good condition of hardware and software available. The user is held solely responsible for any willing energy conflicting with the purpose of the Department and the University of Crete.
Incompatible with the purposes of the Department of Energy and the University are considered:
- Any action that harass other users (within or outside the University) as:
- Lack of respect to the personal accounts of other users.
- Attempts to breach systems or other accounts.
- Sending bulk messages that harass other users or affect the public personality and reputation of individuals.
- Excessive use of computing and network resources.
- Transfer, copy, use any form of software license, without official permission (license).
- Copyright infringement.
- Any action directed towards a direct or indirect profit / trade / publicity or propaganda.
- Providing sensitive information to third parties, which may endanger the safety of the Department.
- Any violation of national or international law.
Users must also follow the instructions given at times by the system
administrators, either as additions or clarifications of the present
Regulation. Suggestions may also be given to address individual needs
In case of infringement of the terms of the present regulation, system administrators may revoke the access to the computer systems. A more prolonged deny of access can be decided by the Head of the Department or the General Assembly of the Department, which has also the power to permanently remove the access right.