- Email access - Webmail
- Access to systems end electronic services
- Laptop connection
- Remote access to Debian (ssh - secure copy - secure ftp)
- Password change
- Email filtering - redirection
- Quota problems
- Folder - directory public_html
- Login by ssh without password
- Printing from laptop with Linux OS
- Free space for data storage in Linux machines
- Subscription to mail lists of courses (majordomo)
- Using turnin program
- Browsers: cache - speed
- Useful programs
- Wing E maps
Computer systems and networks function regulation
The Computer Science Department provides its members – professors, students and staff – the ability to use its computer systems and networks to service their educational, research and other needs, within the academic function of the Department and the University of Crete.
Usage right of user account is granted to students upon their first registration in the Department and is maintained until their graduation.
The usage right is updated every academic semester on registration renewal. In case the student does not renew his/her registration in a semester, he/she loses temporarily the right to access his/her account.
Usage right is also obtained by students of other Departments of the University of Crete if they attend a course offered by our Department, for the specific semester that the course lasts and only for the needs of that course.
Users must follow some basic rules in order to keep the supply level of system services as high as possible, and to preserve the Department’s good image in the international networks that we are connected to.
Each account is provided in order to service specific needs. The use beyond the predicted reasons requires precedent approval from the technical staff.
Users are provided with the ability to create a Web page and to host it on the WWW server of the Department, as long as the general rules, which apply for the use of systems, are not violated.
Each user is responsible to keep in good condition the software and hardware provided for use. The account is strictly personal. The user is exclusively responsible for any action incompatible with the purpose of the Department and the University of Crete, which is done with his/her culpability.
Actions incompatible with the purposes of the Department and the University are considered the following:
- Each action which harasses other users (inside and outside the University) like:
- The lack of respect on the privacy of other users’ accounts.
- The effort to break in other accounts or systems.
- The sending of massive messages that harass other users or publicly offend the personality and repute of individuals.
- The thoughtless use of computer and network resources.
- The transfer, copy, use of any form of software that has a license of use, without an official license.
- The violation of copyrights.
- Any action with explicit or implicit profiteering/commercial/advertising character or proselytism.
- The supply of sensitive information to third parties, which may put the safety of the Department’s systems at risk.
- Any action that violates current national or international law.
Finally, users must follow the occasional hints of the technical administrators that are given additionally or to clarify the current regulation. Similar hints can also be given to deal with individual needs and problems.
In case of breaking the terms of the current regulation, the system administrators may instantly suspend system access. Prolong suspension of access can be decided by the President of the Department or the General Assembly of the Department which also has the jurisdiction to withdraw the right permanently.